When asked the age old question “Why are you a vegan?” I reflect back on the almost 20 years I have been one. I think of the various reasons I give, including when and where my perspective changed. I talk about where food comes from, how food production and cultural practices impact the environment, among other things. I remember the challenges I have with omnivorous friends who feel guilty around me. I reflect on hospitality, food culture and generosity and when being a vegan makes that a tricky dance of etiquette.
How about you? Conscious Cooking’s 20 questions. Think about the reasons you became/attempt/try to be a conscious eater and how you succeed. If you like, include a link to your answers or post them in the comments on this page. Thanks!
1. What is your definition of a vegan?
2. Where do you draw the line? (shoes, belts, insects?)
3. What is most important about your choice to be vegan?
4. Do you care what/how other people eat? Why or why not?
5. Have you ever killed an animal for food? Have you ever eaten meat, dairy, eggs? If so, what?
6. How do you feel about semi-vegetarians, or once vegetarians who are no longer vegetarian?
7. What is your favorite book about food choices?
8. What is your favorite film about food?
9. Do you grow your own? If so, what?
10. Brown or white rice?
11. Preferred sweetener/s?
12. White or Whole Wheat? Favorite grain?
13. What is a healthy vegan?
14. Do your parents know?
15. Do your grandparents know?
16. How do you order in restaurants?
17. How do you tell a non-vegan friend who has invited you to dinner of your preferences?
18. What do you eat in Italy? or country other than your own….
19. Organic or commercially grown?
20. Favorite 5 vegan restaurants? Please include city/country